Translate

Friday, April 18, 2014

On meditation in the month of February.

Following on from my last post on "Forgiveness and breaking free in the month of January", I drew the meditation card for February. I keep drawing this card out so I think the universe is trying to tell me something!

I don't find meditation that easy, even though I tried out the headspace guided meditations a while ago, as I mentioned a previous post "Divine nine or nine ways to stay present". And yet, there are so many benefits to meditation. Here are a few.


Having said that I found three practices in February very meditative. The first was (and is) my reiki practice. I am practicing self-treatment and distant healing as often as I can, as well as giving reiki treatments to my mum on a regular basis. Sometimes I close my eyes while giving reiki and at other times I have my eyes open. The ritual of setting my intention, dedicating the session to the highest good and then using the symbols or reiki positions bring me into a state of deep relaxation and contemplation.

The second was my first ever experience of having a sound bath. A sound bath I hear you cry? What is that? A sound bath is a type of sound healing where the body is bathed in sound from all kinds of instruments or the human voice and resonates at a state of high vibrational energy. 


As a passionate musician I was keen to explore what sound healing is like and so I went along to a talk and demonstration of sound healing by Katie Rose at the College of Psychic Studies in South Kensington, a stone's throw from the Natural History Museum. People of all ages and backgrounds came along to the session. Katie used a variety of instruments and vocal techniques to lead the group through several exercises to loosen us up, banish stress and tension and increase our vibrational energy. The exercises were liberating and a lot of fun! At the end we sat in a circle with our eyes closed while Katie used her voice, drums, gongs and flute to take us on a meditative journey through sound. My whole body vibrated as I was wrapped in a multi-layered blanket of sound. It was a truly amazing experience and something that I would like to explore further. I am thinking of learning sound healing as a way of bringing my musical and healing interests together, so watch this space!

My third practice during the month of February was (and still is) jogging. Yes jogging! I recently signed up for the Race for Life event which will take place on 11th June 2014 in Battersea Park. The Race for Life is a fundraising fun run on behalf of Cancer Research UK. I decided to follow the excellent jogging training plan and soon I was out there in my lycra, with my iPod shuffle, jogging along the waterfront at Battersea Reach. I never would have thought that jogging was meditative but I do find it so. The rhythm of my body moving along with music and watching the light reflect off the Thames helps me focus on the now and I soon find the busyness of my mind settles down and I can enjoy just being. So there we have it, three practices that help me become more meditative. Go on, I dare you to give these a go too!

No comments:

Post a Comment